Small businesses typically redesign their websites every 3-5 years. So how do small business owners know when it is time to invest in a new website? Here are seven really good reasons to overhaul your website now:
- Does your website look fabulous on a phone? When you view your website on a phone, does your page layout change and do the elements on your web pages stack on top of each other so that the text and pictures are really easy to view, even on a little phone screen? This is also called responsive, or mobile-friendly design. Google is now lowering the ranking of websites that are not mobile-friendly. And website visitors get frustrated when they try to view an old-school website.
- Is your website easy to update? Just about every small business I know is moving to WordPress. WordPress allows non-technical users to update their web pages very easily. If you have to call your developer for simple updates, it’s time for an overhaul.
- Do you need a way to post blog articles? If you don’t have a blog, you aren’t showing your visitors what you know, and you probably aren’t delivering much value on your website. And the key to content marketing is to write helpful articles and share your expertise, so that your web visitors can begin to know, like and trust you. And then they will hire you!
- Do you want to link to your social channels? This is more important than ever, and these marketing “outposts” can help your visitors find you and learn about what events your business is attending (or hosting), more about your team and corporate culture, and links to LinkedIn will allow visitors to view your online resumes.
- Are you unhappy with the way your website looks? Are you hesitant to share your website with a prospect or strategic partner? Does your website still reflect your company in the best possible light? Does it look small and dated? Styles change and for small businesses to stay on trend with visual styles, they need to update their look every few years.
- Are you using an older technology? Platforms like Joomla or Contribute are no longer well-supported. We all make guesses about which technologies are most likely to endure. If you guessed wrong a few years back, it’s time for a redesign.
- Do you own your website? A website is your most important marketing tool and it’s best that you own it so you can update and extend it. If your old web developer has control over your domain and web hosting (and you don’t) or if you are using a platform like Wix, Weebly or SquareSpace, you don’t really own your website, and it’s time to build something that can become an asset to your small business!
Heather Cox’s business, The Mighty Little Web Shop, serves small businesses who sell professional services. Mighty Little Web Shop’s mission is to help organizations to confidently attract a steady stream of visitors, and convert them into paying clients or long-standing donors. You can view her profile HERE.